Monday, December 24, 2007

MY HERO

“Taron zameen pe” most tastefully made child movie I have seen. The story revolves around a child suffering from dyslexia Ishaan and his family; A mother who still sees him as a baby to an extent he becomes her doll, Don’t get me wrong she adores him, she always has his back, but she thinks him to be dumb and her main predicament is how to spend today without be reminded her kid has trouble: her motto “I have to keep working hard then every trouble will solve itself”; A father who is impatient to make a man out of an eight year old, who sees childhood as path to follow to reach the main destination …him or even better a more successful him: his motto is the oldest in the book “Discipline, obedience to the wise (read all elders) and hard work will make a winner”; An elder brother at the least 4 years older than Ishaan, loves him unconditionally, then again it is easy for him as he is not responsible of the child’s future like the parents are.

Ishaan has an over active imagination, he copes with world’s disappointment in him by escaping into his fantasies, He denies his impediments to over whelm him by running away. He stands up against any authority with cocky confidence to deny anybody a peak into his own self doubts.

It is uncanny how much this kid reminds me of my early childhood. I might not have been dyslexic but I had real trouble with writing. My handwriting was obnoxious (now it has improved to state of just being illegible), my spellings were unsettling to say the least (I never understood the need for e at end of a word if you spelt have as hav is there going to be any difference? My p’s & g’s , b’s & d’s , a’s & o’s were all interchangeable;) it is funny now but if you were my teacher you would have found it unbearably tiring. My mind revolted from writing a dictated answer. May be I was being stubborn or may be I had high morality concerning intellectual property but I insisted on writing in sentences which were overambitious for my stunted grammar. Now imagine correcting a paper where you have no clue what the child is trying to say, in incomprehensible language and illegible handwriting. In a class of 50 I was in last 15.

I was a difficult kid. It is easy to bring up a child who is hard working, ambitious, willing to fight for respect. I was none of that. I used to be able sit for hours (8 to 10) in my study and entertain myself with my fantasies. How do you help a kid like that?

Every kid needs a hero, an Amir Khan who lets him or her believe that they are capable. Who relentlessly protect the child from the critical society. Who promises the child no matter what he or she does I your hero will be in your side.

My Amma, my HERO.
My Appa, my HERO

Well it is not exactly like the movie, they did have a little bit of Ishaan’s parents in them, but they were overwhelmingly my Amir Khan.

There had been times when they felt trapped and helpless and reacted like any human overloaded with responsibility, they lost temper.
They never lost faith. MY HERO.

They never let me doubt my intelligence; they encouraged any random bit of competence I let escape my demeanor.
They fashioned my self esteem. MY HERO.

They let me contradict them. Our ego burns when our ideas are challenged by our peers. They let an eight year old kid created by them question their beliefs.
They let no one kill my spirit. MY HERO.

Now that I have moved on, now that I no longer choose to remember those days
I forget MY HERO.

5 comments:

yell said...

surprisingly ro, i did not find ishaan's imagination too overactive. i was reminded of my childhood too, The FSM alone knows how many hours i spent bent over my books with a glazed look in my eyes and imagination running wild.

i think most kids have that imagination. i have read a bit about child learning and early development ( jean piaget ) and the movie is just perfect in it's description. the child needs to create an explanation to justify the gaps in his understanding. if he cannot explain why the letters seem mirrored ( or why fish can't fly ), he needs to come up with an explanation. he can't find the answer in the ( so called rational ) world around him, his imagination steps in to fill the gaps.

"taare" is quite a film. i came back feeling like someone suddenly switched on the floodlights in my dark and cozy toto's.

if only you can leave your self-obsessed world for a bit and bother to look at the world from the eyes of someone else, you realize how pathetically small a human being can be. you realize, you're not above the father's self obsessed world-view. you're no better than the the mother. sympathetic but it never occurs to her to step outside her world into ishaan's.

and the teachers, they seem so perfectly real and despicable. it's like i was watching a movie about my school days.

loved aamir's delivery in the scene where he goes to ishaan's parents to try and explain to them about the kid. powerful dialogue, low tone, anger, frustration, the amazing depth of sadness. awesome job.

great post, by the way. a nice read.

Neela said...

Hey Pattu, When I read your piece I felt so happy and congratulated appa on being a successful father!
I always tell my close friends, I could fill a book with the interaction I had with my first born..from the time you refused to have dhalia for breakfast quoting your Hindi teacher," Anyay karna hi nahi, sehanna bhi paap hai"..to the time when I shouted with exasperation throwing my hands up that I have always given you a lot of freedom and your classic reply NOBODY GIVES ANYBODY FREEDOM AMMA, PEOPLE ARE BORN WITH IT,ONLY SOME TRY TO CURTAIL!!
Talking of bad spelling and handwriting, man..what times those were..I used to dread reading your answer scripts but I remember your Hindi teacher of 8th grade, Vaidehi when she came to me and said, Rohini's handwriting is bad more so because of the spelling but she writes with flourish..Kanna, I thank Providence that arranged your schooling in PSSS School.
I also thank the CBSE syllabus that does not require loads of writing,I also feel wonderful that National Science Talent Exam has a lot of aptitude questions, which tests comprehension and application more than anything else..
When the world usually judges a child's worth by the rank it gets,I must also graciously remember my niece Divya who told me on several occasions that oini pappa is a brilliant one.
It behooves us as parents to recognize the child's potentiality.
Now as I sit in the office and interview the youngsters for their communication skills, I feel happy talking and sharing their dreams even though I don't short list all of them!

Unknown said...

Hi Rohan,
What a great talent you have in posting your blog ? I wish you had told us earlier so that we got to see those superb postings all these years.The photo of three ex " kapi " sisters ( monekys ) is real class. well done.
I feel very proud that long back I gifted you a book to you in advance recogntion that you are the MASTERMIND of Visabrigade.
We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the NEW HERO in your life in the NEW YEAR.
All the best. Love - Periappa

Unknown said...

Ro...loved the way you connected with the movie...I guess most people would connect to it in some way or the other...

It is, indeed, a beautiful effort. There has been an Ishaan in all of us. At some point in our childhood, all of us must have felt that nobody seems to understand us...nobody thinks the way we are thinking...nobody imagines things the way we do…

I cried during the movie…but I didn’t feel bad…for there was something positive in my tears…
I felt for Ishaan…for his boundless fantasies…for his helplessness…
I cried when Shankar sang Maa…the song where Ishaan begs his mother to understand him…but doesn’t say anything…he tries to console himself by thinking that his mother understands everything…
I felt a little disappointed with his parents…the way they lose the battle without putting up a fight…
I cried when I felt that I haven’t really grown up…I still feel bogged down by peers sometimes…and need somebody to understand…just the way Ishaan does…and I’m not able to speak that out…just like Ishaan does…

I thank Aamir for bringing back my childhood days…even if it was for a brief period…even if it made me cry…even if it made me feel that I’ve gained nothing in life by being away from my family…even if it made me feel I’m still as insecure and as vulnerable as a child…

I remember I cried when my dad wanted to send me to a boarding school….but I didn’t go finally because my mom intervened…I guess I was luckier than Ishaan…

I will not be a loser when I become a parent. The movie taught me something.

Neela said...

why have you stopped blogging?
N